In episode 190, Kawaki was sent to the Scientific Ninja Lab for a checkup and to cure him after he collapsed because of the fight he had against Garo. After Kawaki woke up, Sumire, Boruto and Mitsuki were sent to feed Kawaki, but Kawaki aggressively causing everything to fall and hurt Sumire. Boruto grabbed him by his shoulder angrily asking him what is going on with him, but Sumire and Mitsuki ordered him to stop because Kawaki was weak due to his drained energy. After a couple of minutes, Kawaki offers to go to the bathroom, but instead he escapes from Boruto and Mitsuki's sight.
Sumire went running after Kawaki to stop him, and both found each other on the stair case. Kawaki warned Sumire to step back because he didn't want to hurt her, but soon found themselves indulging in a physical fight. Soon enough, Sumire overpowered Kawaki and pinned him against the floor and grabbed both of his hands, warning him to obey them or else threatened to restrain him. Kawaki admited he thought she was meek and bluntly accused her of being a liar. Moments later, he used a scientifing ninja tool, shoving her towards the wall, hurting her back. When Kawaki was ready to leave, Nue appeared and bit his arm causing his arm to bleed profuriously. Sumire stood up and ordered Nue to stop biting him, but Nue threw Kawaki, resulting in his handcuffs to break. Kawaki stood up and told her she is a monster for keeping that beast, just like him. Sumire was shocked by his words, and Kawaki got the chance to escape. Sumire told to herself she will go for Kawaki no matter what.
Sumire went after Kawaki. She saw drops of Kawaki's blood scattered on the ground, and came to a conclusion that he still didn't leave Ryutan as the blood droplet was still fresh. She also figured out that he will take time to recover and is not ready to fight yet. Kawaki's words of calling her a monster still lingered in her head. Kawaki was roaming around, looking for food. Soon enough, a stray dog stole a sausage from a meat shop. The meat shop owner came across the dog and was ready to chase it, but Sumire stopped him, asking what if he hurts the dog. The man angrily shoved her away and continued chasing the dog.
Kawaki on the other hand was losing all his energy and consciousness, but came across the dog, which was having the meat sausage. Kawaki asks if it was for him, but the owner caused a wound on the dog's body and held it upside down, trying to take the meat from it. Kawaki scared away the man, as Sumire watches in amazement at how he defended the animal, while also having a sad look of pity, feeling that the way the dog was treated might be similar with Kawaki's past,probably explaining the boy's anger. Kawaki angrily asks Sumire if she wants to get killed by him. But Sumire told that healing the dog is important now. She healed the dog by medical foam, and held Kawaki's hand to check his wound, but he jerked her hand away, but Sumire rolled up his sleeve and was amazed by how quick his wounds were healing. She also apologized for Nue's behavior. Kawaki scared the dog away and Sumire told him that he didn't need to do that. Sumire held his hand, and Kawaki was still adamant in not going back despite receiving a favor from her. He took the sausage and ate it and was amazed by its taste.
Sumire informed him that Naruto is coming to Ryutan to talk to him. But Kawaki still acted casual and called it stupid. Sumire assured him that he is a very understanding person and will help him for sure but Kawaki told her that he doesn't trust adults as well as kids. Sumire understands him and feels that he has trust issues. Kawaki ordered her to stop fooling him. Sumire narrated her story, saying that she was being implanted with Gozu Tenno, and was implanted to just satisfy her father's thrist to destroy Konoha. She also told him that she was trusted by her father and had no choice but to follow his orders, also telling that she almost destroyed Konoha. But, Boruto and the others saved her and he helped her walk towards the right path. Kawaki asked her as to why she is telling all this. Sumire replied by telling she felt that he might have had a painful past just like her. Kawaki asked her to stop and told that she knows nothing about him. But, she, wanted him to tell her his story.
Kawaki was about to walk away, but Sumire stopped him, knowing very well that his wounds might've not healed yet. Kawaki stopped, and held his injured hand, feeling dizzy. She asked him to wait and offered him a nutrient supplier. She was about to inject him but Kawaki grabbed her neck and harshly pinned her against the fence, lashing out that he doesn't want anything to be injected inside him. Nue got angry, but Sumire pleaded him to not do anything to him now. She painfully assured him that she didn't want to harm him, but he refused to listen to her and continued strangling her. Boruto came at the right time and ordered Kawaki to let go of her. Soon, the Konoha policemen surrounded them. Kawaki wrongly assumed that Sumire did all this to distract him and stall for time. He choked her harder, her back hitting the fence. Nue reached his limits and bit Kawaki's hand in his house pet form, but Kawaki easily jerked him away. The policemen were ready to fire at him, but Sarada asked them to stop as Sumire was with him as well. They started firing, but Kawaki managed to escape. Sumire fell unconscious.
She soon woke with Boruto, Naruto and Sai alongside. Sumire explains to Naruto that Kawaki is not rampaging by his own will and requests him to talk to Kawaki before taking any action as she feels that he has a type of sadness inside him. When Boruto reminded Sumire that Kawaki tried to strangle her, she ignored it and told that she knew that look because she was just like him, and begged Naruto to hear everything that Kawaki has to say. Naruto met with Kawaki and had a small fight with him, but Kawaki fell unconscious due to the drain in his energy. Sumire felt relieved, and Boruto was wondering as to what was happening. Sumire explained that Kawaki was having an intense sadness rooted deep inside him.
In the anime, the team 7 was in the hospital being cured from early the fight. Kawaki was about to get injected by a painkiller from Sumire, but he declined the offer, and went downstairs and found Boruto. Shikadai and Inojin brought some cards downstairs the hospital to cheer up Boruto and Kawaki after their fight, and the four of them started playing. Sumire saw them and damanded the other boys to not make any noise as Kawaki needs rest. Everyone bade goodbye, while Kawaki and Sumire headed to his hospital suite. Kawaki questions Sumire as to why the boys referred to her as the 'Class Rep'. Sumire smiled gently at him and responded that she was the class representative in their academy days. Few moments later, Kawaki asked Sumire if she can inject her some of the vaccine which he declined earlier.
After Kawaki and Team 7 rescue Naruto, they return to Konoha for treatment. Sumire and Katasuke tend to Kawaki and run tests on him to see his compatibility with his prosthetic arm. After determining that the incompabile nature of Naruto's prosthetic and Kawaki's nano-tech body would cause Kawaki pain, Sumire offers Kawaki pain medicine to ease the burden. Kawaki declined, saying that his body was tough enough to manage it, saying that "for better or for worse" his body is made to withstand heavy injury without dying. Sumire frowns and gives Kawaki a look of sympathy.
The conversation ends short when Boruto runs in and announces that Naruto is awake. Kawaki and Sumire smile and greet Naruto when he comes in, and Sumire watches as Kawaki and Boruto begin to playfully banter with each other. Shikamaru interrupts and tells Kawaki they'll need to keep him under surveyance for the time being. Sumire frowns sympathetically again when Kawaki agrees to those terms.
Suddenly, Ino sends a transmission saying that Amado is holding Shikadai hostage. Sumire explains to Boruto what "seeking asylum" means while Kawaki tries to figure out why Amado is doing it.
Boruto, Sumire, and Kawaki all go together to watch from outside the glass as Amado is interrogated by Shikamaru, Naruto, and Sasuke. They are shocked to learn about the alien parasites and the apparent goals of the Otsutsuki clan that Amado talks about and surprised to watch Kashin Koji's fight be projected. When Amado begins to talk about the Karma, Boruto looks at the one on his palm, while Kawaki and Sumire both look at Boruto. All three are disheartened by the warning that the karma would eventually turn Boruto into Momoshiki.
Irritated by all the revelations and concerned that Amado is a traitor, Kawaki barges into the room while Sumire and Boruto watch. Sasuke ends the altercation and Kawaki faints and loses his Karma during Jigen and Koji's fight.
After Kawaki lost his karma and collapsed, he woke up in a basement made up for hiding from attacks. There were Amado, Shikamaru, Katasuke, Sumire, Kawaki and 2 other shinobis taking data from the outside with a computer. Inside there, Amado told him that Naruto, Sasuke and Boruto were fighting with Isshiki, and that he no longer had the "karma". This totally worried Kawaki, but Amado told him they had a chance if they could make Isshiki's life time reduce in some way, since he only got 3 days left of living. Until they noticed that he was planning on using an Ōtsutsuki to feed the divine tree. Sumire suddenly realized that Isshiki was planning on using Boruto, since he's the container of Momoshiki, worrying everyone in the room except Amado that already knew it. Amado applauds her deductive skills.
When Amado takes an interest in Kawaki's prosthetic arm, Sumire asks if he can restore Kawaki's own arm, which Amado says he can. Suddenly, a rift opened up from that prosthetic arm, engulfing Kawaki and transporting him away, much to Sumire's shock.
Post Kawaki Arc
After the fight, a week later, it has been revealed that Sumire is Kawaki's caretaker.
As she treats him, she warned him that a certain syringe might sting. Kawaki ordered her to go ahead, telling her that he is not some snotty nosed brat, and a flustered Sumire apologises. Amado orders Kawaki to be kind with Sumire, calling her brilliant and saying that without her he would be stuck in a world of troubles.
Kawaki ordered Amado to stop ordering around and added that Sumire was Katasuke's staff, so wondered why Amado was taking her to be his assistant. Katasuke assures him that it is an advantage to have her in his care team, and that working together to Amado to help take care of Kawaki is what Sumire herself wanted.
Despite Sumire telling Kawaki that she can only do small things, she assured him that he does not need to worry from now on, but also said that it would be best if he avoided getting hurt. Kawaki stared at her. She also wished to learn and hear alot about Boruto from Kawaki, blushing. Kawaki stopped staring at her and bluntly asks Sumire if she likes Boruto, which embarassed her. She asked him to stop saying it so bluntly and requested it to be kept as a secret between them. Katasuke laughed off, but was very sure that her crush on Boruto was very obviously known to everyone. Kawaki said he didn't care about it, but there was indeed a change in his mood. He left after wearing his jacket, and Sumire noticed a change in his behavior.
When Amado called out to tell Kawaki something, both Sumire and Kawaki took notice. They seemed suspicious of Amado when he decided not to tell Kawaki what he had wanted to say.
After Isshiki fight
Time passed by and Sumire and Amado were taking care of Kawaki. After a bad dream, Kawaki woke up desperately, and Sumire worriedly checked on him. Kawaki told her it was just a nightmare. He started discussing with Amado about the fact Kawaki will always be Isshiki's vessel. In anger, Kawaki pushed Amado to the wall, and Sumire shocked shouted his name so he would stop. After the incident, Kawaki left the room, and Sumire sadly watched him leaving.
Moments after he left, Sumire asked Amado what's his intention with Kawaki, and why he wants to restore Kawaki's karma. Amado tried changing the subject, but Sumire loudly told him not to do it, and he explained to her. Later she admitted she's really worried about Kawaki and Boruto, and that she decided from her own will she wants to help Kawaki.
- Sumire chose to work with Amado of her own accord because of her suspicion of his ulterior motives and her concern for Kawaki and Boruto's wellbeing.
- Sumire after Kawaki escaped from the Lab, she decided to go after him all by herself.
- Kawaki admitted she was pretty strong despite her meek appearance.
- Kawaki compared Sumire with him.
- Sumire felt that both of them could relate to each other as they both had similar painful pasts.
- Sumire and Naruto are the people who understood Kawaki's inner pain.
- Despite the fact that Kawaki was running from Sumire at the time, Kawaki and Sumire stopped to help tend to a dog's wounds together after saving it from an angry butcher.
- In the anime, Sumire was the first person his own age to show Kawaki kindness.
- Kawaki noticed through her demeanor that Sumire had feelings for Boruto, and bluntly asked her whether or not she liked him.
- Kawaki and Sumire have both said that they're similar and see themselves in the other, with Kawaki saying that Sumire was a monster like him if she's strong enough to keep Nue as a pet, and Sumire recognizing the fear and sorrow leading Kawaki to keep up his guard and rampage, unable to trust others.
- Sumire told Kawaki about her painful past with her father, and said that she wanted to know more about Kawaki in turn.
- No matter how many times he threatened to hurt or kill Sumire, Kawaki never truly wanted to hurt her or anyone else and tried to avoid confrontation, only being violent in self defense.
- In ep 191, Sumire was amazed at how Kawaki saved the stray dog, when it was about to be killed by the butcher. Yet, she also had a sad look on her face, seeing a part of herself in Kawaki's aggressive, but secretly, kind nature.
- Sumire was the first person to sense the sadness inside Kawaki and knew that despite his powers, he was afraid. Something she also felt.
- Sumire knows that Kawaki is a good person deep down.
- In episode 209, Kawaki said Sumire's words to Himawari: "I know that look because I was just like him".
- Both had terrible fathers. Kawaki's real and adoptive father were both physically and emotionally abusive towards him and would beat him up, while Sumire's would experiment on her and put her through harsh training.
- The word "kawaki" is dry, and you can relate as Jigen told him his empty inside, and nothing will heal his loneliness heart. "Sumire" means purple, and this color can mean power, nobility, wisdom and spirituality. You can relate that Kawaki's heart can be filled with her spirituality and noble heart.
- You can compare Sasuke to Kawaki and Sumire to Sakura, since both Kawaki and Sasuke had terrible pasts, and Sumire and Sakura were doing their bests to make them feel comfortable and offering food to them.
- They master opposite chakra natures: Kawaki masters Fire Release, while Sumire masters Water Release.
- Like their elements, they are polar opposites: Sumire is gentle and polite, while Kawaki is aggressive and rude. And despite her horrible childhood, Sumire grew to have friends, but Kawaki didn't have any of that.
- Unlike Kawaki, who grew up with no true love at all, Sumire despite her sufferings had the love of her mother, in her childhood. Kawaki serves as an omen of what Sumire would've ended up like if her mother haven't love her. With this, it is a possibility that Sumire, alongside the Uzumaki Family and New Team 7, give Kawaki the love he never had.
- Kawaki wears a violet scarf in the timeskip, similar to Sumire's hair color.
- They both have curse marks that can glow red.
- Sumire is Kawaki's caretaker.
Sumire trying to feed Kawaki - episode 190
- "I brought you some food, though it will cost you a little bit... Here have some."
Sumire explaining Kawaki - episode 190
- "I'm sorry. We're in a Scientific Ninja Lab of high technology. We study scientific ninja tools. Don't worry, we don't we don't mean to harm you."
Kawaki warning Sumire - episode 190
- "Feeling strong huh? Step aside or you'll get hurt!"
Sumire impressed about Kawaki's injuries - episode 191
- "Amazing! You're almost completely healed! Oh... I'm sorry about Nue"
Sumire asking Kawaki - episode 191
- Kawaki: "Nothing good will come out of getting involved with people."
- Sumire: "Could you pherhaps be talking about yourself?"
- Kawaki: "... You may have done me a favor, but I have no intention of going back. Once my arm is completely healed, I could wipe out a town like this."
- Sumire: "Lord Hokage is apparently heading here to talk to you himself."
Sumire telling her story to Kawaki - episode 191
- "My father implanted a weapon into my body to satisfy his warped sense of revenge. You saw Nue's appearance, didn't you? When I was still little, I trusted my father and did what I was told to. I was very close to destroying the Leaf Village. But Boruto and everyone brought me back onto the right path."
Kawaki asking Sumire - episode 191
- Kawaki: "Why are you telling me all of this?"
- Sumire: "I just had a feeling that you might have had a painful past."
- Kawaki: "Don't make me laugh, you don't know me."
- Sumire: "I want you to tell me because I don't know."
Sumire to Naruto - episode 191.
- "He had such a sad look in his eyes. I have a feeling he's not rampaging because he wants to... I know that look because... I was just like him... Please, Lord Seventh, listen to what he has to say."
Sumire to Boruto about Kawaki - episode 191.
- "I think he was only on guard. I felt a deeply sadness inside him."
Kawaki telling Sumire she doesn't need to worry - episode 208
- "There's no need to concern yourself. The way I was constructed, I won't die so easily."
Kawaki asking Smire if she could inject him the painkiller - episode 208
- "That thing from earlier. The painkiller. Could you give me a shot?"
Sumire telling Kawaki to rely on her - episode 208
- "If you ever start feeling pain again, just let me know. By the way, Lord Seventh was concern about you. Why don't you go visit him? Well, if you need anything, let me know."
Kawaki telling Himawari Sumire's words - episode 209
- "He's in pain. I know that look because... I was just like him."
Talking about Amado's betrayal - chapter 45
- Sumire: "I think this guy escaped from Kara. Don't know yet why, but it looks like he wants to asylum in Konoha. Maybe his life is at stake?"
- Kawaki: "Amado betrayed Kara? I don't get it... what the heck is going on?"
Sumire talking about Kawaki's care - chapter 45
- "Doc! But it will be to Kawaki's benefit too."
Sumire treating Kawaki's arm - chapter 56
- Sumire: "Sorry Kawaki, this is going to sting a bit."
- Kawaki: "You know...I'm not...a snotty-nosed brat. You don't need to keep saying stuff. Just do whatever you need to do."
- Sumire: "Oh... yeah! sorry!"
Do you like Boruto? - chapter 56
- Sumire: "I still only know the basics, but....you can rest assured from here on out. O-of course, avoiding injury would help too...B-Besides, you're always hanging out with Boruto. So I can ask you about him too."
- Kawaki: "Wait a sec. Do you like Boruto or something?"
- Sumire: "A-Aww Kawaki! D-don't say it so bluntly! L-Let's keep it our little secret okay?!"
- Kawaki: "Whatever... it's no matter to me... so long as you're able to do your job."
Sumire worried - chapter 59
- Sumire: "Are you okay Kawaki? You were tossing and turning."
- Kawaki: "Just a dream, it's nothing."
Among the Fans
KawaSumi is a somewhat popular ship among fans. It has been growing since episode 190 after they started interacting more. From all people he has come across, Sumire is one of the people he has some kind of respect alongside with Naruto, since he admitted she was brave and strong enough for trying to stop him, and he's now trusting her more since she's responsible of taking care of his arm and status. Kawaki from the beginning was very aggressive and dry with everyone, including Sumire, but gradually his bad vocabulary was improving and he began to respect and her more.